Saturday, October 18, 2008

10.30am Saturday morning and I'm already in a sports induced slump

It’s 10.30 on Saturday morning, and I’m already in a sports induced semi-slump. The magician’s away this weekend birthdaying with her folks, so I was planning on watching Andy Murray‘s Madrid Masters semi final with Federer, which meant waking up at the ridiculous time of 4.30. I mean 4.30’s not even morning it’s still yesterday.

Still, I’m a big fan of all things British in sports, and I actually managed to get myself propped up in bed, the cat woke up too, checked out what was going on, flashed me a look to remind me how pitiful I was, then went back to sleep.
Andy Murray beating Federer
I was desperately tired, with a slight hang over making it worse, but I managed to stay awake to see Federer win a boring first set, and right through to the point where Murray broke Fed back to go 4-2 up in the second. Unlike me, as I fatigued Murray began to wake up, and started playing some decent tennis, it looked like it was gonna go to three sets, so I followed the cat’s lead and went back to sleep, so I could give myself a fighting chance of getting up again at 7 in time for the Reading/Preston game.

Just before the 7 o’clock alarm the cat woke me up licking my face with her sandpaper tongue, she has breakfast at 6 (ish) when the magician’s in town. I dragged myself outta bed made the cat her breakfast, and sat down to check on the Murray result….he’d won it! then I logged onto the BBC to watch 2 minute text updates on the Reading match, an excruciating way of following a sporting event...

32:45 - Hunt crosses to Doyle, hooked shot, wide left.

35:21 - Attacking throw in Doyle

37:16 - Defending throw in Armstrong

38:56 - GOAL - Hunt headed center goal from 6 yards (Ass. Rosenior)

40:45 - Defending throw in Armstrong

...I’m not kidding.

Anyway, I don’t wanna dwell on it, we lost 2-1, after leading and hitting the woodwork half a dozen times, and totally dominating, disaster.

So, it’s not even 11am and I feel (half )crap, a tennis final doesn’t quite offset a Reading loss, still I guess there’s always Tuesday night for Reading to get back on track. C’mon Andy!

No comments:

Site Meter